Planning your estate is usually not a simple task and often requires you to make tough decisions regarding who gets what. Step one is to determine what constitutes the estate and obvious items are a house, bank account or 401k plan. What is not so obvious, and should not be overlooked,are our pets. Pets are important parts of our lives and to many pet owners, they are part of the family--it is only fair that New York laws provide a tool to ensure that a pet is cared for after someone has...
Barnabas BreedDownload VCard
Barney was born and raised in Manhattan, on the Upper West Side. After graduating from St. Hugh’s School (1963) in the city, he decided to explore life across the Hudson River. He graduated from Randolph-Macon College in 1966 and then continued his education at Washington and Lee University, School of Law in Lexington, Virginia where he graduated in 1970.
After completing law school, Barney returned to his roots in Manhattan and began a law career on Wall Street with Coudert Brothers, a large corporate international law firm (1971). He quickly rose up the ranks to become the senior lawyer in charge of Trusts, Estates and Private Client Services, with a concentration in Wills, Estates, Trust Administration and Residential Real Estate.
After several years in practice, it became evident to Barney that the billing practices of large corporate law firms were not optimally suited to the needs or affordability of most individual and family clients. Many clients frequently asked if Barney could serve them without the corporate overhead and expenses and encouraged him to form his own personal law firm. Barney responded to these clients’ requests and in 1977, he took the leap of faith and founded our firm, Barnabas Breed & Associates, dispensing with the corporate overhead and large expenses. In addition to serving our long-standing clients and client referrals, we now serve as outside counsel to many large law firms which cannot serve individual clients cost effectively.
From the outset, Barney recognized that in larger firms, a great portion of the legal costs that
are transferred to clients represent the training of inexperienced young lawyers and he discovered that
experienced, well-trained paralegals were capable of doing the work more effectively and at a
fraction of the cost. By implementing this concept through the years, Barney has been able to keep
our costs affordable, while continuing to provide efficient, personalized legal services to our clients.
Today we number two attorneys and seven paralegals and we continue to work as a team to
provide quality legal services to individuals at affordable costs. As Barney oversees all legal and tax
matters for the firm, we are proud to have effectively administered hundreds of trusts and estates and
to bring an equal number of real estate transactions to a successful close.
We are extremely proud that for more than 30 years, Barney has been the recipient of the
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Award, a Peer Rated Award for High Professional Achievement.
- American Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District, NY
- U.S. District Court, Southern District, NY
- Washington and Lee University, School of Law, Lexington, Virginia
- NYC Bar Association of International Law Committee "International Estate Law"
- NYC Medical Society: "How to Avoid Will Disputes"
- Radio Program: Bernard Meltzer Financial Advisor: "Q & A Session"
- WOR Radio Harry Browne Financial Advisor: "Practical Estate Planning"
- St. Bartholomew's Church: "What you should know about ways to Inherit"
- Fidelity Management Co.: "Corporate Succession Planning"
Professional Associations and Memberships
- NYSBA Trusts & Estates Section
- NYSBA Real Estate Law Section
- United States Tax Court
- Emeritus Director, The Legacy Mutual Funds Group, New York, NY
- Emeritus Director, The Guardian Investment Fund, Bermuda
- Director, American Investor Services, Locust Valley, New York
- Emeritus Director, Fidelity Management Co, Del
- Emeritus Director, Continental Construction Corp., Ala
- Director, American Partnership Services
- Director, First American Holdings, Inc., Oyster Bay, NY
- Trustee, The Wayne Arts Center, Wayne PA
- Trustee, St. Hugh's School, New York
- Trustee, The Brewster School, New York